Avocados are not a traditional Thanksgiving food - however - you can add them to your traditional dishes and make them even more delicious! Here are five simple ways:
1. To make a thick, delicious rub for your turkey (with about 70% less fat) - simply whip an avocado in your food processor with some fresh garlic and rosemary. Rub it all over the turkey (it will stick better than butter or oil) -- and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. It will be green at first, but cook up golden brown and delicious! (click here for a full recipe: turkey rub )
2. Make some fresh, easy appetizers with avocados on a stick! Slide avocado chunks, a small tomato and a piece of purple onion on a toothpick. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and some lemon juice.
3. You can bake using avocados too - kind of how you use applesauce in baking. The avocado mashed through a fine seive can replace butter, oil and/or eggs in recipes to significantly lower the fat content. You won't even be able to taste the difference! Plus you add 20 vitamins and minerals. Check out a recipe for pecan bread using avocado here:avocado-pecan-holiday-bread
4. Make a darling "veggie turkey" using guacamole and some vegetables. Use the photo as a guide.
5. The obvious uses: put avocado in your salad and add avocado to your post-feast sandwiches. They are healthy and creamy and we're SO lucky in Moorpark to have fresh, local avocados.
One final wish - please buy LOCAL when you go out on Black Friday! If you wish to ship avocados for your holiday gifts -- you know I want your business! Visit me at www.AvocadoDiva.com and we'll be happy to help you.