Which one are you?
A. Never made guacamole
B. Only had guacamole at a restaurant
C. Buy guacamole in a tub
D. Never tried guacamole
Recently I have talked with several Californians who are one of the above. What? Honestly, I'm not sure you can be a Californian without making home made guac at least once.
Here is how easy it is:
1. Get a ripe avocado. Hass avocados in season right now so they are easy to find. They are ripe when they are black and soft to the touch (but not too soft).
2. Cut the avocado in half, from top to bottom and take out the pit.
3. With a big spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh and put in a non-metal bowl.
4. Smash with a fork or potato masher.
5. Add about 1/3 of a jar of salsa and mix.
6. Add a bit of salt, around 1/8 of a teaspoon.
7. Eat with tortilla chips.
This is the most basic recipe ever.
The diva writes a new guacamole recipe every week on her blog "52 Weeks of Guacamole" here. Once you get the hang of the basic, you can get all crazy and try some new ones.
It's your right as a Californian. I beg you to go make some fresh guacamole.