Pickling a fruit or veggie is a time honored way to preserve an over abundance - so the Avocado Diva decided to give it a try.
I'll be giving a class next TUESDAY at Vom Fass in Westlake (a gourmet vinegar store -- and you HAVE to use vinegar to pickle - so that works out great, huh?!) Please call 805-495-9999 to reserve your spot. (Details below).
Right now is FULL ON summer avocado time! There are SO many varieties available AND even the regular old Hass can be found at GREAT prices.
I have tried pickling my avocados 3 ways -
- Cutting up a ripe avocado any old way (chunks, slices, etc.) peeled.
- Slicing a ripe one into beautiful wedges and leaving the skin on.
- Using a rare "Mexicola" avocado - that has edible skin and is tiny.
They all worked! The avocados come out salty, spicy and great on salads, smeared on toasted French bread or just right from the bowl - plopped into my mouth.
At Tuesday's class we will be using some VERY unique flavored vinegars, like honey-vingear, fig-chili vinegar and a mango vinegar. Come join me!
- Date: Tuesday, August 21
- Time: 6 - 8 pm
- Price: $15
- Where: Vom Fass at 3815 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd (near Trader Joes)
- RSVP: yes! My classes always sell out! 805-495-9999
- Includes: We will make 3 salads with avocados, plus pickle avocados, a glass of white wine AND a refreshing dessert (Sundae!)
Full class description:
"With all of the hot weather what better time to celebrate the glory of the salad with Ventura County's own Avocado Diva? The Diva will
prepare a Crunchy Avocado Salad with crispy kale chips and spicy Vom Fass Casks pepita seeds, a smooth and creamy avocado, cilantro and jalapeno dressing and a new and healthy twist on the classic 'wedge" salad using chicken and bacon. We will also learn how to pickle avocados using Vom Fass vinegars to make uniquely delicious appetizers and salad accompaniments. And we'll round the evening out with a special Vom Fass sundae to take some of the sizzle out of the summer. Once again, the Diva delivers!
$15 tasting fee/ RSVP Required. Please call the store to reserve your spot. 805-495-9999